What’s Your Cold War IQ?
Start with the basics - why was the Cold War called the Cold War?
- Moscow has notoriously cold weather
- There was very little “hot” (direct) fighting between the US and USSR
- Everybody was terrified of a “nuclear winter”
- Armies turned the common cold into a biological weapon
The first manmade satellite was launched during the Cold War, as part of the Space Race. What was it called?
- Apollo 13
- The International Space Station
During the Cold War, Americans were afraid of communists at home and abroad. What US Senator led the “Red Scare”?
- John F. Kennedy
- J. Edgar Hoover
- James Brady
- Joseph McCarthy
What major war ended right before the Cold War started?
- The Korean War
- World War I
- World War II
- The Hundred Years’ War
The closest the Cold War ever came to a real nuclear conflict was the Cuban Missile Crisis. Who was the US President when it went down?
- Richard M. Nixon
- John F. Kennedy
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The Vietnam War was America’s biggest active conflict in the Cold War. What did the US do during the Vietnam War that it hasn’t done since?
- Drafted people to serve in the military
- Put ground troops on foreign soil
- Fought without declaring war
- Spend more than seven years on one war
Complete the famous quote. “Mr. Gorbachev…”
- "We will bury you!"
- "Tear down this wall!"
- "Ich bin ein Berliner"
- "Your table is ready"
What does “USSR” stand for?
- United States of Soviet Russia
- Ultimate Struggle for Survival and Revenge
- Uzbek Syria Slovenia & Russia
- Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
Which Russian dictator was in charge from 1922 to 1953?
- Vladimir Lenin
- Karl Marx
- Vladimir Putin
- Joseph Stalin
And finally, when the war ended the Soviet Union broke up into many countries. Which of “The Stans” was NEVER part of the USSR?