What’s Your First Aid IQ?
Let's start out with the ABCs. What does "ABC" stand for in first aid?
- Already Been Cared for
- Always Be Cauterizing
- Airway, Breathing, Circulation
- Alpha, Bravo & Charlie
Your friend is in the kitchen slicing carrots, and accidentally slices a bit of their own hand. How do you clean the wound?
- Dab some aloe on it
- With cold water
- With hot water
- With alcohol, peroxide, or iodine
Where on the human body can you NOT find a pulse?
- The neck
- The upper thigh
- The wrist
How do you treat a first degree burn?
- Fight fire with fire — apply fire
- Fight fire with ice — apply ice
- Fight fire with water - run the burn under cool water
- Fight fire with prayer - pray for healing
What is the fireman's carry?
- Yelling for friends to help
- Picking someone up across my shoulders, behind my neck
- Dragging someone by their feet
- Bringing a bag of donuts back to the firehouse
When should you use a tourniquet?
- Whenever there's slight bleeding
- Tourniquets should never be used
- Turn a what?
- Only when I can't stop the bleeding in time to get to a hospital
You're camping in the Amazonian jungle, and your friend is bitten by a vampire bat. What should you do?
- Drive a wooden stake through my friend's heart. No sense in risking a vampire attack.
- Perform CPR
- Get out of there and get a rabies shot ASAP
- Use a tourniquet so my friend doesn't bleed out
Are you even qualified to be taking this quiz? Who can perform first aid?
- Only a licensed doctor, nurse, or paramedic
- Only a person's spouse or family member
- Only the victim themselves
- Anyone who knows what they're doing
How fast should you perform chest compressions for CPR?
- At whatever the person's natural heart rate is
- About six beats per second
- About 100 beats per minute
- As fast as I possibly can
And finally, what is an automated external defibrillator or AED?
- A machine that can reverse bleeding
- The big thing in hospitals with the two pads where they say "clear!"
- Defibrillator? I hardly know her!
- A machine that can identify and treat deadly cardiac arrhythmias