What’s Your Cold War IQ?
During the Cold War, the world seemed divided between the Americans and the Soviets, and the struggle defined our culture. And we still live with that legacy today, from TV shows like “The Americans” to the bad Yakov Smirnoff jokes you hear from your friends. What’s your Cold War IQ? In Soviet Russia, quiz takes you!
Start with the basics - why was the Cold War called the Cold War?
- Moscow has notoriously cold weather
- There was very little “hot” (direct) fighting between the US and USSR
- Everybody was terrified of a “nuclear winter”
- Armies turned the common cold into a biological weapon
The first manmade satellite was launched during the Cold War, as part of the Space Race. What was it called?
- Apollo 13
- The International Space Station
During the Cold War, Americans were afraid of communists at home and abroad. What US Senator led the “Red Scare”?
- John F. Kennedy
- J. Edgar Hoover
- James Brady
- Joseph McCarthy
What major war ended right before the Cold War started?
- The Korean War
- World War I
- World War II
- The Hundred Years’ War
The closest the Cold War ever came to a real nuclear conflict was the Cuban Missile Crisis. Who was the US President when it went down?
- Richard M. Nixon
- John F. Kennedy
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The Vietnam War was America’s biggest active conflict in the Cold War. What did the US do during the Vietnam War that it hasn’t done since?
- Drafted people to serve in the military
- Put ground troops on foreign soil
- Fought without declaring war
- Spend more than seven years on one war
Complete the famous quote. “Mr. Gorbachev…”
- "We will bury you!"
- "Tear down this wall!"
- "Ich bin ein Berliner"
- "Your table is ready"
What does “USSR” stand for?
- United States of Soviet Russia
- Ultimate Struggle for Survival and Revenge
- Uzbek Syria Slovenia & Russia
- Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
Which Russian dictator was in charge from 1922 to 1953?
- Vladimir Lenin
- Karl Marx
- Vladimir Putin
- Joseph Stalin
And finally, when the war ended the Soviet Union broke up into many countries. Which of “The Stans” was NEVER part of the USSR?